Dubai is home to some of the world’s finest hospitals and clinics. These facilities require the services of highly qualified and professional pharmacists in order to give the best possible treatment to patients. Pharma firms are rapidly expanding their presence in Dubai’s healthcare market. Now that foreign direct investment is permissible under Dubai law, the industry is drawing a large number of international investors.
If you are a pharmacist wishing to register as a Pharmacist in the UAE, this article will walk you through the steps necessary to obtain a pharmacy license in Dubai. A license issued by Ministry of Health and Prevention is required. The procedure of registration is quite smooth and may be done in some steps. In this blog, we will discuss everything you need to know in order to register as a pharmacist in Dubai.
What will be discuss in this blog
- What can you do with pharmacy license in Dubai?
- Roadmap to obtain a Pharmacist License in Dubai
- Required Documents to obtain a pharmacy license in Dubai
- DHA’s requirements to be aware of while setting up a pharmacy business
- Pharmacy license renewal in Dubai
What can you do with pharmacy license in Dubai
The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) regulates the pharmacy profession in the emirate, and all pharmacists in the emirate must be licensed by the DHA. With a DHA pharmacy license, you are allowed a number of activities, including:
- Prescription medicine distribution.
- Sales of over-the-counter pharmaceuticals.
- The provision of pharmacological advice and information.
- Pharmaceutical compounding.
- Vaccination administration.
Roadmap to obtain a Pharmacist License in Dubai
The process of obtaining a pharmacy license in Dubai is a lengthy one, but it is possible to obtain a license if all the necessary requirements are met.
1: What are these necessary requirements?
The requirements for a pharmacy license in Dubai include the following:
- The applicant must be a UAE citizen or should hold a valid resident visa of UAE.
- The applicant age should be 21 years old minimum.
- The applicant should have a degree of bachelor in pharmacy.
- The applicant should have minimum 2 years of working experience as a pharmacist.
- The applicant must have passed the pharmacy licensing exam.
2: License Registration:
- Gather and prepare list of documents that are to be submitted to the Dubai Healthcare Department (DHA) when applying for a pharmacist license.
- Get initial approval to register your pharmaceutical business from the agency. You must submit prepared documentation to the UAE Ministry of Health and Regulation for initial approval
- Obtain clearance from the Dubai Municipality for the chosen pharmacy location’s commercial usage
- Lastly, send the paperwork to the Dubai Healthcare Department for evaluation so they may write the initial approval letter.
3: Submit an application to the DHA and HRD to get the Final Approval
You must apply to the DHA and Health Regulations Department (HRD) for the final approval after receiving an initial approval. Up until your company receives the license, the final approval step involves a number of separate procedures. Additionally, during this stage, representatives from the Drug Control Department will visit and evaluate your pharmaceutical facility in person. The agency can grant a license in twenty-two days if all the strict standards are completed.
Required Documents to obtain a pharmacy license in Dubai
The following are the required documents for obtaining a Dubai pharmacy license:
- A completed application form.
- A duplicate of the applicant’s UAE resident visa and passport.
- A copy of the applicant’s native country’s pharmacist license (if applicable).
- A copy of the candidate’s resume.
- A good-standing letter from the applicant’s previous or current employer.
- Area permit.
- Initial approval.
- Approval of the proposed location for the pharmacy.
- Certificates and a list of the pharmacy employees.
- An examination of medical fitness if the candidate is 65 or older.
When your DHA license application is approved, you must also submit the following:
- A certificate from your recruiting facility for malpractice insurance.
- A letter of offer from your recruiting center
DHA’s requirements to be aware of while setting up a pharmacy business
While setting up your pharmacy business in Dubai, you must be aware of a few rules issued by the Dubai Health Authority.
- The pharmacy’s name and address, the DED license number, and the duration of the license must all be listed on the license.
- The DHA pharmacy license must be prominently displayed in the establishment.
- The pharmacy must prominently publish the facility’s operating hours as well.
- The entire area of the rental property must be at least 30 square meters if it is for a pharmacy.
- A local UAE sponsor is necessary to get a trade license for your company if you are operating on the mainland in addition to the DHA license.
Pharmacy license renewal in Dubai
A DHA pharmacy license is valid for only a year. You can apply to renew your license by applying three months prior to the expiry date. Following steps must be taken for license renewal:
- The e-licensing platform Sheryan must be used to submit a renewal application.
- The license must meet all prerequisites for renewal.
- In the event that the license is not renewed, it will expire on the last day it was in force. And the pharmacy will incur financial penalties in this situation.
- Upon completing the HRD criteria for re-licensure examination, the DHA Pharmacy license will be renewed for a year.
- A pharmacy license that hasn’t been renewed for six months would be deemed invalid.
When planning to open a pharmacy in Dubai, it is important to consider ownership restrictions to avoid penalties and violations. In most administration, a case can be made for exceeding the number of licenses held by one person, but it is more difficult to obtain an exemption from local ownership restrictions.
It is better to use the services of a business consultant who is well aware of the legal requirements in this area. We at beyond view can help you not only to get a pharmacy license but also to set up a pharmacy in Dubai. Contact us today – we’ll be happy to help.