Trademark Registration in UAE
Trademark Registration in the UAE is voluntary, but there are many advantages of doing it. It protects the brand from any illegal use. It is also a proof that the brand only belongs to one and one have full rights to use, sell and make any changes to the brand.
Importance of Trademark Registration in UAE:
A registered trademark works as a unique identity for your brand. Similarly registering trademark prevents anyone from misusing your brand for their own benefit.
Therefore, it helps in differentiating goods and services of one company from other. It also provides a proof of your protected rights. Moreover there is no need to follow any common law rights. It is an asset which grows with time.
Trademark Law in UAE:
- Trademark Law in UAE is governed by the Ministry of Economy under the Federal Law number (37) of 1992
- It is valid for all the seven Emirates.
- Registration is valid for 10 years. It is applicable in UAE since the date of the official trademark registration.
- However, for further extension you will need to pay additional fees.
- If the owner fails to use a registered trademark within 5 years of registration, the court can cancel it.
- The Federal Laws of UAE provide protection for registered trademark and protect interest of both businesses and the consumers.
- Application form that needs to be completed.
- Sample of the Trademark brand name.
- Confirmation of the official fee payment.
- Copy of the trade license in case of corporate application.
- A power of attorney appointed who will act on your behalf.
- List of the goods and services that needs to be protected.
- Copy of the passport and the contact details of the applicants.
Trademark Certificate Cost and Trademark Registration Fees:
You have to submit the application online for approval from the Ministry. For this the applicants have to pay fees and submit other supporting documents. After successful review the Ministry will give registration certificate for your brand.
Trademark Registration Fees that needs to be paid:
- Firstly the Filing and Searching fees – AED 1000
- Secondly the Initial Approval Fees – AED 1000
- Thirdly Publication in two local Arabic newspaper fees is AED 1500
- Finally the Trademark Certificate fees is around AED 8,000
Trademark Registration Process:
One have to make sure that the trademark one is planning to use is not already in use, So only after choosing the correct trademark one can proceed for Registration.
After that one have to submit the required documents along with trademark registration form. The Ministry accepts the applications through online.
Initial Approval Fees:
One have to pay the Initial fees for the initial approval of the application form.
Study and Review of Application Form:
One have to submit the documents to the Ministry for review. Once reviewed, the Ministry will give the initial confirmation about the approval of the request.
Publishing in Local Newspaper:
Applications accepted by the registrar are published in Trademark journal as well as two local newspaper. One have to submit the cuttings of notices to the Trademark Office.
Now, any party can file a complaint against the registration within 30 days from the date of any publication.
Final Payment for Trademark Registration in UAE:
If there are no complaints after publishing in newspapers, the Ministry will review the application. The Ministry will issue the Trademark Certificate if all is found ok.
The Certificate will include the following:
- The registration number
- The Application date
- The name of the business and the owner
- The Trademark details and description of the assets
Trademark Registration Certificate:
Once a trademark is received, it is valid for 10 years. However, for further extension one needs to pay additional fees, and it can be renewed.
In conclusion, trademark registration in UAE will help a business to protect its asset from piracy. A business owner can use this as a legal instrument to protect their brand.